Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Thesis of DOOM

Thesis 1: Society has an innate dissent toward the realm of magic, seen in its bloody history and in modern pop culture entertainment.

I wanted to write a research paper, which incorporated past and present interactions between magic and society. The history part allows me funnel through the ample information on the witch hunts in the 17th century. At the same time I am able to examine the evolution of ideas involving magic, if there are some, from the 17th century to the present day, in the form of pop culture.

Thesis 2: Society has altered the perception of magic from an unknown evil to juvenile entertainment.

I have always been interested in the reason for the juvenility of magic books that I have read. I found that they lack the adult sophistication of other genres. Even the employment of practical magic in the real world, magicians and their show, has been tagged by our society as amateurish. The question I attempt to answer is why this open deification of a historically rooted subject.

5 Comments:

Blogger bearisdrivinghowcanthatbe said...

I like #2. Part of that is just because I'm a little sick of the witch hunts, but also because I believe #2 would yield more applicable discussion on modern times.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Sirius131 said...

Hey Ehrich Weiss,

I'm going to say straight off that I find your second thesis to be the better and more interesting of the two. By looking up both society's view of magic in the past and present, you will definitely be able to present a strong argument proving your observation is correct. The only thing I can say to criticize it is that I think it could be a little more specific. The second thesis statement as is sounds like it is lacking in strength and specificity. Granted, that will most likely occur automatically as you begin to write your paper. Other than that, I think you have an awesome idea that if followed through, will make for a really great paper.
Good luck!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Capt. Hoffman said...

The second thesis is definitely much stronger. The only thing I would add would be an answer to the question in your thesis. You obviously won't know this until you're done, but don't forget that the thesis should tell the reader what the argument will argue.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Dragonsinger216 said...

I definitely like the second thesis better, perhaps because I prefer the wording of unknown evil to bloody. I think you need to expand a little more on your thesis and be a bit more specific. Perhaps you could mention that you want to focus on witch hunts in the thesis?

9:00 PM  
Blogger Olya Olegovna said...

Pretty interesting post! Thanks it was interesting. on website

2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home